Vol 35 | Issue 2 | May-Aug 2020 | page: 4-49 | Rohit Nath¹, Deepti Gupta¹, Rajendra Nath¹, Vijay Shankar Sharma¹
Authors: Rohit Nath¹, Deepti Gupta¹, Rajendra Nath¹, Vijay Shankar Sharma¹
¹Department of Orthopaedics, GSVM Medical College & LLR Hospital, Kanpur, UttarPradesh, India.
Address of Correspondence:
Dr. Rohit Nath,
Department of Orthopaedics, GSVM Medical College & LLR Hospital, Kanpur, UttarPradesh, India.
The giant-cell tumour was recognized more than a hundred years ago by Sir Astley Cooper(1818). The most frequently affected segments are sequentially the distal femur, proximal tibia and the distal radius. But involvement of proximal radius is rare. Not more than ten cases in the world literature have been reported so far. We are reporting a case of histologically proved giant cell tumour of proximal radius which was treated operatively by wide resection of tumour and reconstruction of radio-humeral and superior radio-ulnar joint using proximal fibula as autograft with preservation of annular ligament and elbow and superior radio ulnar joint movements. This form of treatment has not been reported in the literature so far. The case is therefore being reported for its rare site and innovative method of treatment.
Keywords: Giant cell tumour, proximal radius, fibular grafting
1. Alex Guedes, Baptista PPR, Santili C, Yonamine ES, Garcia HRP, Martinez EC. Wide resection and fibular transposition in the treatment of GCT on radius distal end. Acta Ortop Bras. 2009; 17(3): 171-181.
2. Tumours. In: Solomon L, Warwick DJ, Selvadurai editors – Apley’s system of orthopaedics and fractures. 8th ed. London: Hodder Arnold Inc., 2001: 181-182.
3. Robert K. Heck – Benign/ aggressive bone tumours. In: S. Terry Canale, James H. Beaty, et al editors – Campbell’s Operative Orthopedics. Volume 1. 11th ed. Philadelphia, Pennsylvania: Mosby Elsevier, 2008: 883-886.
4. Lewis M M, Kaplan H, Klein M J, Ferriter P J, Legouri R A. Giant Cell Tumour of the Proximal Radius. Clin Orthop Relat Res 1985 Dec; (201):186-9.
5. Naseer Ahmed Mir, Javeed Ahmed Bhat, Manzoor Ahmed Halwai. Giant Cell Tumours of Proximal Radius and Patella: An Unusual Site of Presentation. JK Science Jan-Mar 2003; 5(1): 35-37.
6. Sakayama K, Sugawara Y, Kidani T, Miyawaki J, Yamamoto H. Bipolar-type floating radial head prosthesis for the treatment of giant cell tumour of the proximal radius: a case report. J Shoulder Elbow Surg 2006 Sep-Oct;15(5):e9-12.
7. Shrivastava S, Nawghare SP, Kolwadkar Y, Singh P. Giant cell tumour in the diaphysis of radius – a report. Cases J 2008 Aug 18; 1(1):106.
8. Singh A P, Mahajan S, Singh A P – Giant cell tumour of the proximal radius. Singapore Med J 2009 Nov; 50(11): e388-390.
9. Song WS, Cho WH, Kong CB, Jeon DG. Composite reconstruction after proximal radial GCT resection. Arch Orthop Trauma Surg 2011 May; 131(5): 627-30.
10. Norman L. Higinbotham, Bradley L. Coley. Giant Cell Tumour Of Bone. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 1938; 20:870-884
|How to Cite this Article: Nath R, Gupta D, Nath R, Sharma VS | Giant cell tumour of proximal radius – A rare case report | Journal of Bone and Joint Diseases | May-Aug 2020; 35(2): 47-49.|