Vol 35 | Issue 3 | September-December 2020 | page: 38-40 | Atin jaiswal, Yashwant singh Tanwar, Gautam Chatterji
Authors: Atin jaiswal , Yashwant singh Tanwar , Gautam Chatterji 
 Depatment of orthopaedics, Vivekanand Polyclinic and Institute of Medical Sciences, Lucknow, UttarPradesh, India.
 Depatment of orthopaedics, Indraprastha Appolo Hospital, New Delhi, India.
 Depatment of orthopaedics, AIIMS Bhopal, India.
Address of Correspondence:
Dr. Atin Jaiswal,
Senior consultant Orthopaedics, Vivekanand Polyclinic and Institute of Medical Sciences, Lucknow, UttarPradesh, India.
Bipartite patella results due to the failure of fusion of secondary ossification centres. Most bipartite patella are asymptomatic and usually an incidental finding. Various treatment modalities for symptomatic bipartite patella and fracture of bipartite portion of patella are described in literature but traumatic transverse fracture in a bipartite patella and its management is not reported in our knowledge. We present a case of traumatic transverse fracture in a bipartite patella in a 50 year old male. Fixation of the fresh traumatic fracture while leaving bipartite Portion undisturbed resulted in a good functional outcome. Fresh fracture of patella in a previously asymptomatic bipartite patella should be fixed without addressing bipartite portion and surgeon should try to restore pre injury status of patient. Normal opposite knee radiograph does not always rule out the presence of bipartite patella in the limb.
Keywords: Patella, Bipartite, Fracture
1. Atesok K., Doral M.N., Lowe J., Finsterbush A. Symptomatic bipartite patella: treatment alternatives. J. Am. Acad. Orthop. Surg. 2008;16(8):455–461.
2. Oohashi, Y., Koshino, T. & Oohashi, Y. Clinical features and classification of bipartite or tripartite patella. Knee Surg
Sports Traumatol Arthrosc 18, 1465–1469 (2010).
3. Dündar U., Solak O., Cakir T. An Usual Painful Bipartite Patella. Eur. J. Gen. Med. 2009;6:52–54.
4. Weaver J.K. Bipartite patellae as a cause of disability in the athlete. Am. J. Sports Med. 1977;5(4):137–143.
5. Green W.T., Jr Painful bipartite patellae. A report of three cases. Clin. Orthop. Relat. Res.1975;(110):197–200.
6. Halpern A.A, Hewitt O. Painful medial bipartite patellae: a case report. Clin. Orthop. Relat. Res.1978;(134):180–181.
7. Saupe H. Primäre Krochenmark serelung der kniescheibe. Deutsche Z Chir. 1943; 258:386-392(In German).
8. Bourne MH, Bianco AJ Jr. Bipartite patella in the adolescent: Result of surgical excision. J Pediatr Orthop. 1990; 10:69-73.
9. Kavanagh EC, Zoga A, Omar I et al. MRI findings in bipartite patella. Skeletal Radiol.2007; 36:209–2148.
10. Mori Y, Okumo H, Iketani H, Kuroki Y. Efficacy of lateral retinacular release for painful bipartite patella. Am J Sports Med. 1995;23:13–18.
|How to Cite this Article: Jaiswal A, Tanwar YS, Chatterji G | Traumatic Transverve Patella Fracturre In A Bipartite Patella – An Unusual Case Report | Journal of Bone and Joint Diseases | September-December 2020; 35(3): 38-40.|