Vol 35 | Issue 3 | September-December 2020 | page: 35-37 | Saurabh Kumar, Deepankar Verma, Ish Kumar Dhammi, A K Jain, Ahmer Zafar
Authors: Saurabh Kumar , Deepankar Verma , Ish Kumar Dhammi , A K Jain , Ahmer Zafar 
 Department of Orthopedics, UCMS & GTB Hospital, Delhi, India.
 Department of Orthopaedics, MAMC, Delhi, India.
 Department of Orthopaedics, UCMS, Delhi, India.
 Department of Orthopaedics, BJRH, Delhi, India.
Address of Correspondence
Dr. Saurabh Kumar
UCMS & GTB Hospital, Delhi, India.
The treatment of pathological neck femur in children due to osteopetrosis is not clear. The literature is scanty and only few case reports are present. We encountered such a 8 year old female child, who presented with two asynchronous femoral neck fractures. There was history of trivial trauma first left followed by right hip was involved. His skeletal survey was suggestive of osteopetrosis. Patient presenting symptom was pain and inability to bear weight on his lower limb. Her mother also had such fractures. We managed conservatively in form of bilateral skin traction for bilateral hip. At 2 years follow-up patient had excellent functional outcome(no pain, full weight bearing, full hip ROM) with radiologically fracture united in coxa-vara. The conservative treatment gives good functional outcome.
Keywords: Children, Fracture femoral neck, Osteopetrosis.
1. Marks SC Jr., Schmidt CJ (1978) Bone remodeling as an expression of altered phenotype: studies of fracture healing in untreated and cured osteopetrotic rats. Clin Orthop Relat Res 137:259–264
2. McCarthy EF, Frassica FJ (2000) Genetic diseases of bones and joints In: Pathology of bone and joint disorders. WB Saunders, Philadelphia
3. Shapiro F (1993) Osteopetrosis. Current clinical considerations. Clin Orthop Relat Res 294:34–44
4. Boardman MJ, Herman MJ, Buck B, Pizzutillo PD (2009) Hip fractures in children. J Am Acad Orthop Surg 17: 162-173
5. Stark Z, Savarirayan R (2009) Review Osteopetrosis. Orph J Rare Diseases 4: 5.
6. Aslan A, Baykal Y, Usyal E et al(2014) Surgical Treatment of Osteopetrosis-Related Femoral Fractures: Two Case Reports and Literature Review. Hindawi Publishing Corporation Case Reports in Orthopedics
7. Krieg AH, Speth BM, Won HY, Brook PD (2007) Conservative management of bilateral femoral neck fractures in a child with autosomal dominant osteopetrosis. Arch Orthop Trauma Surg 127: 967-970.
8. Armstrong D, Newfield J, Gillespie R (1999) Orthopedic management of osteopetrosis: Results of a survey and review of the literature. J Pediatr Orthop 19: 122-132.
9. Alexander WG (1923) Report of a case of so-called ‘‘marble bones’’with a review of the literature and a translation of an article. Am J of Roentgenol 10:280–301
10. Gunther C, Komm M, Jansson V, Heimkes B (2013) Midterm results after subtrochanteric end-to-Side valgization osteotomy in severe infantile coxa vara. J Pediatr Orthop 33: 353-360.
11. Palma L, Tulli A, Maccauro G, Sabetta S, del Torto M (1994) Fracture Callus in Osteopetrosis. Clin Orthop Relat Res 308: 85-89.
12. Ganz R, Grappiolo G, Mast J, Matta J, Turchetto L (2017) Technical particularities of joint preserving hip surgery in osteopetrosis. J Hip Preserv Surg 4: 269-275.
13. King R, Lovejoy J (1973) Familial osteopetrosis with coxa vara. A case Report. J Bone Joint Surg 55: 381-385.
|How to Cite this Article: Kumar S, Dhammi I K, Verma D | Outcome of Bilateral Femoral Neck Fracture in Female Child with Osteopetrosis Treated Conservatively | Journal of Bone and Joint Diseases | September-December 2020; 35(3): 35-37.