Vol 35 | Issue 3 | September-December 2020 | page: 41-43 | Atin Jaiswal, Yashwant Singh Tanwar
Authors: Atin Jaiswal , Yashwant Singh, Tanwar 
¹Department of Orthopedics, Vivekanand polyclinic and institute of medical sciences, Lucknow, U_ar Pradesh, India.
²Department of Orthopedics, Indraprastha Appolo Hospital, New Delhi, India.
Address of Correspondence:
Dr. Atin Jaiswal,
Vivekanand polyclinic and institute of medical sciences, Lucknow, Uttar Pradesh, India.
Agricultural machine injuries are very common worldwide and are a cause of major economic burden and permanent physical disabilities. Such injuries carry a grave prognosis as they usually result in traumatic amputation or compound fractures with deep lacerations which are open contaminated. Infection rate in such injuries are too high and undefined fracture patterns usually pose a problem in adequate management and usually require multiple surgeries. A sequential planned tailor made approach is required for management of such injuries. We present a case of chaff cutter machine injury in a 17 years male patient with compound, comminuted, multiple fractures in right elbow with bone loss managed with thorough debridement and minimal internal fixation and single stage surgery with good results. In this case report we used titanium elastic nails as an alternative to joint spanning external fixation for diaphyseal humerus fracture with its advantages. This manuscript also gives an insight regarding prevention of agricultural machine injuries.
Keywords: Chaff cutter, Compound, Comminuted
- Leigh JP, McCurdy SA, Schenker MB. Costs of occupational injuries in agriculture. Public Health Rep 2001; 116:235-48.
- Angoules AG, Lindner T, Vrentzos G et al. Prevalence and current concepts of management of farmyard injuries. Injury 2007;38:S27-34
- DavasAksan A, Durusoy R, Bal Eet al. Risk factors for occupational hand injuries: relationship between agency and finger. Am J Ind Med. 2012 May;55(5):465-73.
- Kumar A, Singh JK, Singh C. Prevention of chaff cutter injuries in rural India. Int J InjContrSafPromot. 2013;20(1):59-67.
- Pickett W, Hartling L, Brison RJ, Guernsey JR. Fatal workrelated farm injuries in Canada, 1991–1995. CMAJ. 1999;160(13):1843–1848.
- Hansen RH. Major injuries due to agricultural machinery. Annals of Plastic Surgery. 1986;17(1):59–64.
- Gorsche TS, Wood MB. Mutilating corn-picker injuries of the hand. J Hand Surg Am 1988;13:423-7.
- Melvin PM. Corn picker injuries of the hand. Arch Surg 1972; 104:26-9.
- Reed DB, Browning SR, Westneat SC et al. Personal protective equipment use and safety behaviors among farm adolescents: gender differences and predictors of work practices. Journal of Rural Health. 2006;22(4):314–320.
|How to Cite this Article: Jaiswal A, Tanwar Y S | Chaff Machine Injury Of the Elbow–A Case Report | Journal of Source of Support: None Bone and Joint Diseases | September-December 2020; 35(3): 41-43.|