Vol 35 | Issue 1 | Jan-April 2020 | page: 3-7 | Latif Z. Jilani, Ziaul Hoda Shaan*, Mohd. Faizan, Sohail Ahmad, Naiyer Asif, Mazhar Abbas
Authors: Latif Z. Jilani , Ziaul Hoda Shaan *, Mohd. Faizan , Sohail Ahmad , Naiyer Asif , Mazhar Abbas4 
¹Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, J.N. Medical College, A.M.U, Aligarh, India.
Address of Correspondence:
Dr. Ziaul Hoda Shaan,
J.N. Medical College, A.M.U, Aligarh, India.
Background: The choice of implant for the fixation of extraarticular distal humerus fracture has always been a matter of debate among the treating surgeons. Plates of various shapes and designs have been in use. An anatomically precontoured Locking compression plate (LCP)- Extraarticular distal humeral plate(EADHP) has been developed for sturdy fixation of distal humeral extraarticular fractures and has solved the dilemma of the treating surgeon regarding the choice of implant. This study focuses on the functional outcome of distal third extraarticular humeral fractures fixed with the above mentioned plate.
Material and methods: Twenty four patients presenting to our casualty and OPD with extraarticular distal humerus fracture were operated between June 2014 and December 2016. All patients were operated by triceps splitting approach. Patients were regularly followed and clinico-radiological outcome was recorded in terms of elbow range of movement, fracture union time, implant failure, secondary displacement, non union, infection and other complications. Mayo elbow Performance score was calculated and used for final functional outcome.
Results: A total of 24 patients were operated (19 male and 5 female). Twenty three patients had radiological union after a mean of 3.5 months. One patient went into non union. The average follow up period was 18 months. Mean flexion of elbow achieved at last follow-up was 125±18.5⁰(range 75-135⁰) and the mean loss of extension was 5⁰±5.5⁰ (range 0-15.5⁰).Average Mayo elbow performance score at the final follow up was 88.6±6.5. There was one case of infection, no neurovascular deficit post operatively or implant failure in any of the cases.
Conclusion: Anatomical precontoured distal humeral locking plates allow for stable fixation and initiating early elbow physiotherapy thereby yielding satisfactory functional and radiological outcome with minimal to no complication.
Key words: Distal humerus fracture; locking compression plate; extraarticular distal humeral plate osteosynthesis.
1. Self J, Viegas SF, Buford WL Jr, et al. A comparison of double-plate fixation methods for complex distal humerus fractures. J Shoulder Elbow Surg 1995; 4(1 Pt 1): 10–16.
2. Waddell JP, Hatch J and Richards R. Supracondylar fractures of the humerus-results of surgical treatment. J Trauma 1988; 28(12): 1615–1621.
3. Ekholm R, Adami J, Tidermark J, et al. Fractures of the shaftof the humerus. An epidemiological study of 401 fractures.J Bone Joint Surg Br 2006; 88(11): 1469–1473.
4. Sarmiento A, Horowitch A et al (1990) Functional bracing for comminuted extra-articular fractures of the distal third of the humerus. J Bone Joint Surg Br 72(2):283–287
5. Ring D, Harris M, Doornberg J, McCarty P, Jawa A (2006) Extraarticular distal-third diaphyseal fractures of the humerus. A comparison of functional bracing and plate fixation. J Bone Joint Surg Am 88-A:2343–2347
6. McKee MD (2006) Fractures of the shaft of the humerus. In: Bucholz RW, Heckman JD, Court-Brown CM (eds) Rockwood and green’s fractures in adults. Lippincott Williams & Wilkins, Philadelphia, pp 1117–1159
7. Archdeacon MT, Cannada LK, Herscovici D, Anglen JO (2008)Avoiding complications in the treatment of humeral fractures.J Bone Joint Surg Am 90-A:1580–1589.
8. Saragaglia D, Rouchy RC and Mercier N. Fractures of the distal humerus operated on using the Lambda® plate: report of 75 cases at 9.5 years follow-up. Orthop Traumatol Surg Res 2013; 99(6): 707–712.
9. Prasarn ML, Ahn J, Paul O, Morris EM, Kalandiak SP, Helfet DL, Lorich DG (2011) Dual plating for fractures of the distal third of the humeral shaft. J Orthop Trauma 25:57–63
10. Levy JC, Kalandiak SP, Hutson JJ, Zych G (2005) An alternative method of osteosynthesis for distal humeral shaft fractures. J Orthop Trauma 19:43–47
11. Spitzer AB, Davidovitch RI, Egol KA (2009) Use of a ‘‘hybrid’’ locking plate for complex metaphyseal fractures and non unions about the humerus. Injury 40:240–244
12. Tejwani NC, Murthy A, Park J, McLaurin TM, Egol KA, Kummer FJ (2009) Fixation of extra-articular distal humerus fractures using one locking plate versus two reconstruction plates: a laboratory study. J Trauma 66(3):795–799
13. Meloy GM, Mormino MA, Siska PA, et al. A paradigm shift in the surgical reconstruction of extra-articular distal humeral fractures: single-column plating. Injury 2013; 44(11): 1620–1624.
14. Thomas PR, Richard EB, Christopher GM (2007) AO philosophy and evolution. In: Thomas PR, Richard EB, Christopher GM (eds) AO principles of fracture management, 2nd edn. Thieme, Stuttgart, pp 1–9
15. Jawa A, McCarty P, Doornberg J, Harris M, Ring D (2006) Extraarticular distal-third diaphyseal fractures of the humerus. A comparison of functional bracing and plate fixation. J Bone JointSurg Am 88(11):2343–2347
16. Paris H, Tropiano P, ClouetD’orval B, Chaudet H, Poitout DG (2000) Fractures of the shaft of the humerus: systematic plate fixation. Anatomic and functional results in 156 cases and a review of the literature. Rev Chir Orthop Reparatrice Appar Mot 86(4):346–359
17. Gerwin M, Hotchkiss RN, Weiland AJ (1996) Alternative operativeexposures of the posterior aspect of the humeral diaphysis with reference to the radial nerve. J Bone Joint Surg Am 78(11):1690–1695
18. Kharbanda Y, Tanwar YS, Srivastava V, Birla V, Rajput A, Pandit R. Retrospective analysis of extra-articular distal humerus shaft fractures treated with the use of pre-contoured lateral column metaphyseal LCP by triceps-sparing posterolateral approach. Strat Traum Limb Recon (2017) 12:1–9.
19. Trikha V, Agrawal P, Das S, Gaba S, Kumar A(2017). Functional outcome of extra-articular distal humerus fracture fixation using a single locking plate: A retrospective study. Journal of Orthopaedic Surgery 25(3) 1–6
|How to Cite this Article: Jilani L Z, Shaan Z H, Faizan M, Ahmad S, Asif N, Abbas M | Role of Extra-articular distal humerus plate in distal third fractures of humerus | Journal of Bone and Joint Diseases | Jan-April 2020; 35(1): 3-7.