Vol 35 | Issue 1 | Jan-April 2020 | page: 41-42 | TausifAhmed A. Shikalgar
Authors: TausifAhmed A. Shikalgar 
¹Department of Orthopedics, R. C. S. M. G. M. C. Kolhapur, Maharashtra, India.
Address of Correspondence:
Dr. Tausif Ahmed A. Shikalgar
R. C. S. M. G. M. C. Kolhapur, Maharashtra, India.
A humeral fracture is the most likely fracture to be associated with nerve injury. Approximately 12% of fractures of the shaft of the humerus are complicated by immediate radial nerve paralysis. Fractures of the humeral sha associated with median nerve palsy are exceedingly uncommon because it is protected throughout its course from direct contact with bone by muscles of varying thickness. Here we report the case of a young man who sustained a fracture at the junction of middle 1/3rd and distal 1/3rd of the humeral shaft associated mainly with median nerve palsy.
Key words: Median nerve palsy, Fracture shaft of humerus, Denervation, Radial Nerve
1. Omer GE. Acute management of peripheral nerve injuries. Hand Clin. 1986;1:193-206.
2. Macnicol MF. Roentgenographic evidence of median-nerve entrapment in a greenstick humeral fracture. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 1978;60:998.
3. Campbell CC, Waters PM, Emans JB, Kasser JR, Millis MB. Neurovascular injury and displacement in type III supracondylar humems fractures. J Pediatr Orthop. 1995; 15:47-52.
4. Cramer KE, Green NE, Devito DP. Incidence of anterior interosseous nerve palsy in supracondylar humems fractures in children. J Pediatr Orthop. 1993;13:502-505.
5. Brown IC, Zinar DM. Traumatic and iatrogenic neurological complications after supracondylar humems fractures in children. J Pediatr Orthop. 1995;15:440-443.
6. Spinner M. Injuries to the Major Branches of Peripheral Nerves of the Forearm. 2nd ed. Philadelphia: WB Saunders Co., 1975:184.
7. Epps CH. Fractures of the shaft of the humerus. In: Rockwood CA, Green DP, eds. Fractures in Adults. 8th ed. 2015:1287.
8. Sunderland S. Nerves and Nerve Injuries. New York: Churchill Livingstone. 2nd ed. 1978:656-690.
|How to Cite this Article: Shikalgar T A. | Median Nerve Palsy after Fracture Shaft of Humerus: A Case Report | Journal of Bone and Joint Diseases | Jan-April 2020; 35(1): 41-42.