Vol 35 | Issue 1 | Jan-April 2020 | page: 37-40 | Tarun Baghla, Ajay Bharti, Pawan Rawat, Rahul Agarwal,
Authors: Tarun Baghla , Ajay Bharti , Pawan Rawat , Rahul Agarwal , Zabreel Muzaffar 
¹Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, AIIMS Gorakhpur, Uttarpradesh, India.
Address of Correspondence:
Dr. Ajay Bharti ,
AIIMS Gorakhpur, Uttarpradesh, India.
Complications are associated with most of the surgical procedures, It is the acumen, proficiency in skill of the surgeon that minimizes them, Post-Operative dislocation of THA are not uncommon but vascular complications are rare and every effort should be made to reduce their occurrence. We report a case of femoral neck fracture in young adult in whom Common femoral artery injury occurred along with dislocation of hip following THA leading to disarticulation of Hip. A short review of literature is also presented to make us aware of neurovascular complications with THA.
Key words: Total hip arthroplasty ( THA ), Vascular Injury , Hip disarticulation
1. Bergqvist D, Carlsson AS and Ericsson BF. Vascular complications after total hip arthroplasty.ActaOrthopScand 1983;54:157-163.
2. Hakuta N, Tsuchida M, Katsui M, Yamaoka K, Kusaba A, Kondo S, et al. Acute common femoral artery occlusion following THA for arthrodesed hip. Showa Univ J Med Sci 2011;23(4):243-249.
3. Riouallon G, Zilber S, Allain J. Common femoral artery intimal injury following total hip replacement. A case report and literature review. Orthop Traumatol Surg Res 2009;95(2):154.
4. Dargel J, Oppermann J, Brüggemann G, Eysel P. Dislocation Following Total Hip Replacement , Dtsch Arztebl Int. 2014 Dec; 111(51-52): 884–890
5. Abbas k, Murtaza G, Umer M, Rashid H, Qadir I. Complications of total hipreplacement. J Coll Physicians Surg Pak. 2012 Sep;22(9):575-8
6. Yang IH Neurovascular injury in hip arthroplasty. Hip Pelvis 2014 jun;26(2):74-8
7. Weber E.R., Daube J.R., Coventry M.B. Peripheral neuropathies associated with total hip arthroplasty. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 1976;58(1):66–69
8. Pan B, Zhang G. Severe vascular injuries following total hip replacement. Zhonghua Wai Ke Za Zhi 1997;35(8):453
9. Shigeo Fukunishi, Shohei Okahisa, Tomokazu Fukui, Shoji Nishio ,Yuki Fujihara, Yu Takeda, et al. Significance of preoperative 3D-CT angiography for localization of the femoral artery in complicated THA. J Orthop Sci 2014;19(3):457
10. S An, H Shen, M Feng, Z Li, Y Wang, G Cao, Femoral artery injury during total hip arthroplasty, Arthroplasty Today, 2018;4: 459-463
11. Chen WC, Yu SW, Tseng IC, et al. Treatment of undisplaced femoral neck fractures in the elderly. J Trauma. 2005;58(5):1035–1039.
12. A A Faraj, Yousuf M. Anterior thigh pain after cementless THA Int Orthop 2005 Jun; 29(3): 149–151.
13. Mostafa A , Abdelwahab M , Ali AM. Bipolar versus fixed-head hip arthroplasty for femoral neck fractures in elderly patients. Strategies Trauma limb Reconstr. 2011 Apr, 6910: 1-6
14. Duparc F. Vascular risk of orthopaedic and trauma surgery].Conference d’enseignement. Paris: Expansion scientifiquefrancaise Publisher, 1992; 46:63-78
15. Nerubay j Traumatic anterior dislocation of hip joint with vascular damage. ClinorthopRelat Res1976 May;(116):129-32.
16. Calligaro KD, Dougherty MJ, Ryan S, Booth RE. Acute arterial complications associated with total hip and knee arthroplasty. J VascSurg 2003;38(6):1170-7.
17. Nachbur B, Meyer RP, Verkkala K, Zuecher R. The mechanism of severe arterial injury of hip joint. Clin orthop 1979;141:122-33
|How to Cite this Article: Baghla T, Bharti A, Rawat P, Agarwal R, Muzaffar Z | Disarticulation of hip: A rare complication of Total hip arthroplasty | Journal of Bone and Joint Diseases Jan-April 2020; 35(1): 37-40.